Saturday, August 29

A Sunday Meal



I wish this post was about my awesome husband and brother-in-law helping my mommy make rolls. FYI this photo was taken over three years ago. This post is dedicated to a crock-pot and a lovely Sunday meal.

Oh the memories of Sunday afternoons growing up. The wonderful meal awaiting us when we got home from church- roast and mashed potatoes. Usually when I start to crave something, I just have to have it; which is the exact reason for this post.


I have decided to try and just use my point and shoot for this blog. When I try to take good food photos I get too wrapped up in photos rather than food. I am no pioneer woman.

My biggest tip, which I learned from the mother, is to brown your roasts. YOU MUST!

So, season your meat (I am using beef) with salt- pepper- garlic. I like to use Steak Seasoning- it's fast and easy.

Get a pan nice and hot with oil and brown the heck out of it. Brown every side until it has a nice color to it.

That's about right.

Add some beef broth to the pan and scrape up all of the wonderful flavor from the bottom.

Add your desired veggies to the crock pot and make the meat happy. Cook on low or high, whatever you have time for.

For me, roast must be served with mashed potatoes. Cut in fourths and add to a pot of water. Bring them to a boil and once they come to a boil turn to low and cook for 12 minutes. They will be perfect.
Make some corn, because corn completes this meal.


This is all you need, well plus the juice from the pot, to make stellar gravy. Now, I have come to the realization that my gravy will never surpass my mothers. I always either make it too thick or not thick enough.

In this case, it was too thick. I added a bit too much cornstarch and it was a little off tasting.


The meat needs a good five minute rest before it hits the plate.

I might have to make this again tomorrow. Make the potatoes lovely by mixing them with milk, a lot of butter, sour cream and garlic.

And you have a meal to make you so full. Seriously, after eating this I told Brian that I haven't felt that full in a long time. It was a good thing.

Just like I have my own cooking show.

I would be saying

"It hits the spot and it's like being home again."
Comment if you want more tips. Happy cooking!

3 comments:

  1. You keep making all this yummy food and yet you aren't feeding it to your neice or nephew!! BAD AUNT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so cute! Andrew LOVES roast beef in the crock pot...but...can I admit that I hate the way it makes my house smell? I enjoy eating it, but walking into my house with that smell is overwhelming! Ick!

    And...sometimes I don't like to make it because it is never as good as my dad's! He does the best Sunday dinners. Mmm....now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete