Wednesday, July 29

Green Bean Casserole- No Cans Used!

Welcome!

I am a sucker for homemade things so when I thought about green bean casserole at Thanksgiving I thought- I could totally make that from scratch!

I grabbed my cooking bible- The New Best Recipe- and was set.
I was in love! So different from what I was used to, but wonderful.
The sauce was so fresh and creamy and the beans had a great slight crisp to them.


Most of my meals are planned while I am walking around the grocery store. This time I waned to make steaks for the husband and needed something fun to go along. So, I made the casserole.

It takes maybe a half hour from start to finish, including all of the chopping.

I am new at this whole cooking and photographing thing. It was not easy!! I think I am going to have to take only pretty photos of the finish product and snapshots of the process.

So, here is the casserole.

I will post the exact recipe later.

Along with our beans we had loaded mashed potatoes and steak.

Mushrooms- recipe actually calls for cremini but I used button
Fresh green beans with ends trimmed

small red onions
use any onions you have or shallots

Coat onions with flour-salt and pepper Fry onions until a light golden brown being sure not to burn them
Set aside on a paper towel and wipe out skillet

Brown mushrooms for about 8 minutes
Heat the butter over medium heat-when foaming subsides add onions and cook until the edges brown
Add 1 T flour and garlic

Add beans and bay leaves
Add cream and chicken broth- stir
Cover and cook until the beans are partly tender, but still crisp in center- about 4 minutes.

Add mushrooms to beans and cook uncovered until beans are tender- about 4 minutes.
Remove bay leaves, season with salt and pepper if needed and top with onions

Green Beans are happier with fried onions on top!

Mashed potatoes filled with goodness!!
Want to make perfect mashed potatoes?! Here is what you need to do.....
Peal and cut potatoes into chunks
Add to a pot of water
Cover and turn stove to med-high
Once the water starts to BOIL turn your burner to low/simmer and cook for 12 minutes
Drain and set back on stove for 2 minutes to dry

That is all there is to it- they will be perfect every time!

The potatoes new lovers. I don't measure with these- I just throw in and it works. So, weather you want tons of flavor or just a little you are in charge.

I usually mash my potatoes in the mixer, but for this meal I needed to do them as quick as possible. I threw in all the ingredients at once and mashed away. If you don't have a masher like this- get one they are awesome- it was only a few bucks at the store.

The beans complete with the fried onions-I'm drooling now

Pictures don't really do it justice. It was so good!

Cooking a meal like this is so rewarding!!

Brian and I sat down to eat and we each had a few bites and sighed

What did you have for dinner tonight?
I'm going out with my in-laws

3 comments:

  1. Homemade Mac and Cheese!! Doesn't even compare! Why did you suck all the cooking ability from Mom's womb before I got the chance? MEANIE!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh....why did i read this at work at 11:15 with no food in sight!??! i want those green beans AND potatoes so badly. thanks for posting the recipes and steps! i will have to try them out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like BOTH recipes please: green bean casserole and potatos!

    Yum! I love that you love to cook.

    I have a recipe book from Beth Luebe from our wedding that I just resurrected after we moved to our house. I went shopping for groceries and was AMAZED at how few I had to purchase. The book is all about eating More while using Less. It's awesome.

    Keep the recipes comin' :)

    ReplyDelete